One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is a novel written by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, first published in November 1962 in the Soviet literary magazine Novy Mir (New World). The story is set in a Soviet labor camp in the 1950s, and describes a single day of an ordinary prisoner, Ivan Denisovich Shukhov.
The book's publication was an extraordinary event in Soviet literary history, never before had an account of Stalinist repression been openly distributed. The editor of Novy Mir, Aleksandr Tvardovsky, wrote a short introduction for the issue, titled "Instead of a Foreword", to prepare the journal's readers for what they were about to experience.
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich was specifically mentioned in the Nobel Prize presentation speech when the Nobel Committee awarded Solzhenitsyn the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1970.
Often considered the most powerful indictment of the USSR's Gulag ever made, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich forced Western intellectuals to acknowledge their sins of omission in regards to the Soviet human rights record. A decade later at a US-Soviet summit, a human rights agenda was created as a topic of concern. It appeared on the Independent newspaper's poll of the Top 100 books, which surveyed more than 25,000 people.
There is a list of the main characters included in the Wiki page (linked above). Yes, the names are foreign and the list might be helpful. Here is another list of characters from Sparknotes.
Here is the SparkNotes Context section which gives (more) background on Solzhenitsyn.
So yes, I listened to a book which takes place in a (assumed to be) Siberian Russian Labor Camp.
This book was far less graphic than All Quiet on the Western Front.
It was also far less graphic (from what I understand) than Unbroken, which I skipped when one of my book groups read it.
One Day in the Life isn't really graphic at all. There is almost no blood. They are not getting up and beating everyone, everyday (not at all).
The story is exactly what the title says - the book starts when Ivan gets up (one random day) and ends when he goes to bed. It is simply about daily life in a labor camp.
The audio addition I used was just over 5 hours (one of my shortest ever) and was read by Richard Brown.
I went to Audible.com and pulled up all of the books narrated by Richard Brown and listened to a clip of each one. I suspect he has a British accent (I am terrible at placing accents) as I listen to the other clips. But it seems he changed it up a bit for One Day in the Life. If someone had told me he was raised in Russia but then moved to England, I would have believed it.I could not find a site that told me for sure, there are several Richard Browns. I sent a suggestion in to Audible that they add a biography section on their Audible narrators to the site.
While it is not graphic, I guess it is not really easy listening either. They are freezing and wish they had more food. It is an intellectual read of sorts because it is a translation and because it is a non-popular topic.
I did enjoy the book in an intellectual, different culture, way. I would not have liked to listen to 20 hours of this story line, but 5 hours was an interesting read. And it is probably a book that everyone should read. I plan to work my way through (any of) the Pulitzer and Nobel (that I have missed) at some point in the future.