Saturday, November 07, 2015

Hooded Toddler Towels

I use my blog to remember things.

I am not sure any of you sew regularly.

If anyone needs more information, let me know.

I am just posting enough so that I will remember for the next batch I make.




The fabric is 40"+ terry cloth, bought at JoAnn's.
I cut off the selvages. Then I simply square it.
I intend for these to be toddler towels. I think big is good.





I use a large plate to round the corners.
This plate is (just slightly) larger than a dinner plate.
I leave the hood corner pointy,
until I have sewn the hood/towel layers together,
then I cut it all off in a curve.







I cut an  11 1/2" square and fold it in half (diagonally) to form the (triangle) hood. 
That made binding much simpler.
I used the terry fabric as my hood, which means I bought a little extra.
These online directions gave me an idea of the hood size.

I did not follow the rest of her directions. 
I just used the measurements of the hood to give me a general size idea.
(I could not think of a toddler to borrow for sizing. 
But I did use a large, purple stuffed monkey.)





This is the hood in one corner.
It is a square, folded in half on the diagonal.
The edge of the hood is the fold line.
I leave the point on the corner of the towel and the hood.

I mark the curve with a pencil. I sew a zigzag, 
just inside the pencil line to hold the (3) layers together.
Then I cut on the pencil line, through all three layers.
Then I bind this corner as I bind the whole towel.
The hood corner is the same as all the other corners, it is just three layers thick.
I use put extra stitching, during binding, where the hood and towel meet,
because that spot will have more stress then the rest of the towel.




The first one I made, I didn't think about rounding all of the corners.
My miters are perfect, it is a lovely corner, but rounded would be nicer.




It takes two packages of binding for each towel.
I miter the ends together before I start, so it is one long piece and easier to sew.
I sew the binding on the wrong side and flip it to the front to finish.
I machine sew the binding. It is actually stitched four times.
I straight stitch it.
I zigzag to prevent fraying.
I flip it and straight stitch binding closed.
I zigzag over the straight stitch.
It is easier to sew the binding on curved corners because then there is no mitering.