Yes, a very modern publication date (for me).
This book is considered a modern classic by many. I agree with that accessment.
Somehow being written by an English author and read by an English reader (my version anyway, Jill Tanner, who was most excellent) really helps that classic style/impression. But the actual writing, very much has a classic feel to it, in my opinion.
When I wrote about Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet,
Laura said:
This book is considered a modern classic by many. I agree with that accessment.
Somehow being written by an English author and read by an English reader (my version anyway, Jill Tanner, who was most excellent) really helps that classic style/impression. But the actual writing, very much has a classic feel to it, in my opinion.
When I wrote about Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet,
Laura said:
"R&J is my least favorite. The conflicts and misunderstandings really bothered me as a HS student when I first read it & saw the movie, and reading it in college didn't change that.
"I saw it at our university in town years ago and thought they did a really good job. That's probably the first time I actually enjoyed it. Maybe since I was older and had some distance from my youth and my own issues, it was easier for me to deal with."
If you share that sentiment about (really not liking) conflicts and misunderstandings, then Atonement is (probably) not the book for you.
I am not going to say any more than that about the plot.
The book is written in three distinct sections. Sometimes that bothers me in a book, but in this one, it did not. Each section is discussing a different time frame. And the time frames are in chronological order, which I always appreciate. (There is an after note, sort of, which I guess is actually 4th section of book, as I think about it).
I enjoyed this book thoroughly. I am not sure I would have a few years ago. But now I can see the difference between me/mine and a story. If you are new to reading me, that might sound like an odd statement. Much of my inner work, that started as soon as the last of the fat was off my body, was boundary related. And really important.
This book was assigned by one of my groups. The woman who suggested the book, pushed hard for us to read it as a group. And I now understand that pushiness. It is a great book for discussion.
Have any of you read it?