The House of the Seven Gables is a Gothic novel written in 1851 by American author Nathaniel Hawthorne. Hawthorne explores themes of guilt, retribution, and atonement in a New England family and colors the tale with suggestions of the supernatural and witchcraft. The story was inspired by a gabled house in Salem belonging to Hawthorne's cousin Susanna Ingersoll and by those of Hawthorne's ancestors who played a part in the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. The book was well received upon publication and later had a strong influence on the work of H. P. Lovecraft. The House of the Seven Gables has been adapted several times to film and television.No, I had never heard of Lovecraft, if you have, please leave a note in comments.
If you are trying to remember what else Hawthorne wrote - The Scarlet Letter (1851) - which I read this past January (2013).
Chapter one, House of the Seven Gables, is typical of books of this time frame. The author is trying to catch one up to a lot of details/history. The story doesn't start (in this book) until chapter 2. Sometimes (Dickens for example) the story doesn't start until chapter 3. It is good I not only understand this (now) but embrace it. I am not fighting these books as they start at their own pace.
character list (for a trip down memory lane if you have read the book):
Hepzibah Pyncheon
Clifford Pyncheon
Judge Jaffrey Pyncheon
Holgrave
Phoebe Pyncheon
Colonel Pyncheon
Matthew Maule (the elder)
Matthew Maule (the younger)
Alice Pyncheon
Gervayse Pyncheon
Uncle Venner
Old Jaffrey Pyncheon
Thomas Maule
Two workmen
The organ-grinder (and monkey)
Judge Pyncheon’s son
An old gentleman
Young boy (who eats different shaped cookies)
grimalkins
I felt like I was back to my kind of book.
The language is beautiful. Just beautiful.
I didn't know one thing about this book. Not one thing. Had never seen a movie version. Had never read an article. And I am not spoiling it here.
But I will say/warn that this is a classic and has a very slow pace.
If one is only use to modern with a lot of action and a very fast pace, it is going to feel odd.
My family and I have observed classics are an acquired taste.
