Wiki notes:
The Age of Innocence centers on an upper-class couple's marriage. (Note: part one is pre marriage, part two is while they are married). Though the novel questions the assumptions and morals of 1870s' New York society, it never devolves into an outright condemnation of the institution. In fact, Wharton considered this novel an "apology" for her earlier, more brutal and critical novel, The House of Mirth. Not to be overlooked is Wharton's attention to detailing the charms and customs of the upper caste. The novel is lauded for its accurate portrayal of how the 19th-century East Coast American upper class lived, and this, combined with the social tragedy, earned Wharton a Pulitzer Prize — the first Pulitzer awarded to a woman. Edith Wharton was 58 years old at publication; she lived in that world, and saw it change dramatically by the end of World War I. The title is an ironic comment on the polished outward manners of New York society, when compared to its inward machinations.
SparkNotes Context Section includes:
It is believed that the expression "keeping up with the Joneses" once specifically referred to Edith Jones Wharton's parents, who were known throughout New York for their lavish social gatherings.
I had a hard time getting into this book. Not sure why. I understood it. Just was not really invested in the first half. I had a couple thoughts that it might have been a bit to much like Emma or Room with a View. (Although I read Dracula and another book after those two and immediately before The Age of Innocence.)
LOVED the second half.
Truly treasured the last several chapters.
The protagonist is a man. So that made it different than Emma and a Room with a View.
I thought about men in general as I read this book.
Men who are stand up men, and men who are not.
Men who are loyal to their children and the mother of their children, and men who are not.
I also thought of the men who jump from woman to woman.
I also thought of breeding/class and education.
I thought of whether you marry a boyfriend or a husband.
I thought of looking at the whole picture of your life and the stability and foundation of your family.