Wednesday, December 19, 2012

my books - East of Eden (1952) by John Steinbeck

Wiki writes:
Often described as Steinbeck's most ambitious novel, East of Eden brings to life the intricate details of two families, the Trasks and the Hamiltons, and their interwoven stories.

The novel was originally addressed to Steinbeck's young sons, Thom and John (then 6½ and 4½ respectively). Steinbeck wanted to describe the Salinas Valley for them in detail: the sights, sounds, smells, and colors.

The Hamilton family in the novel is said to be based on the real-life family of Samuel Hamilton, Steinbeck's maternal grandfather.

A young John Steinbeck also appears briefly in the novel as a minor character. According to his third and last wife, Elaine, he considered it his magnum opus – his greatest novel.

Steinbeck stated about East of Eden: "It has everything in it I have been able to learn about my craft or profession in all these years." He further claimed: "I think everything else I have written has been, in a sense, practice for this."


Does that almost bring a tear to your eye? It does mine.





This is my oldest's all time favorite book. It is a beloved book to him.

I read it specifically because he wanted me to read it (and it was darned well about time, I am 51 years old and college educated, Steinbeck is a Nobel Prize winning American author.).

I loved this book. It belongs to a lengthy list of really great books I have read. The book is deliciously long. It is a really, really good story.

In fact, I am not sure what my one favorite would be. I have read a lot of books I truly love. But the ONE? Not sure I can choose. Once upon a time it was Gone with the Wind. At other points it was Agatha Christie in general. At another time it was the Merlin Series by Mary Florence Elinor Stewart.   Oldest loves the the Stewart Merlin Series also. I am not sure either of the girls has ever read it.

I read East of Eden shortly after Grapes of Wrath. I think there were three books in between those two texts. As I got ready to start East of Eden I asked oldest if I needed to be forewarned (is Eden as sad as Grapes?).

He assured me that it was not as sad. I asked what it was about and he told me two brothers. Then I looked it up on Wiki and it reference two families. I actually think it is more accurate to say it is about a man who had a family (including a brother) and neighbors and friends.  At one point in the story, I thought oldest should have said - it is about a psychopath (antisocial personality disorder). Because that stood out to me in the book. I also saw a lot of history repeating itself.

The title of the book relates to the Garden of Eden and the story of Cain and Able. Not only can one see that story running through the book, but it also shows that story is running through human kind through the ages.

As I read, I was a little worry history was just going to keep repeating itself and no one was going to learn/change through the generations of families.

That is a topic that is hard for me. I feel very strongly about there being lines in the sand and learning and applying.

I almost called the oldest several times to ask if history just keeps repeating itself in the story. I didn't, he was in the midst of studying for very hard finals.

And honestly, I am not sure how he would have answered that question. I am not sure how I would answer that question now that I am done with the book. Human kind, families, are a complex issue.





For those of you who like older/classic movies, yes there was an East of Eden movie.

Wiki writes:

East of Eden is a 1955 film, directed by Elia Kazan, and loosely based on the second half of the novel of the same name by John Steinbeck.

The film stars Julie Harris, James Dean (in his first major screen role), and Raymond Massey. It also features Burl Ives, Richard Davalos and Jo Van Fleet, and was adapted by Paul Osborn and John Steinbeck.

Although set in early twentieth century Monterey, California, much of the film was actually shot on location in Mendocino, California. Some scenes were filmed in the Salinas Valley.

Of the three films in which James Dean played the male lead, this is the only one to have been released during his lifetime and the only one which Dean personally viewed in its entirety.

In 1995 Nonesuch Records issued an album of music from both "East of Eden" and "Rebel Without a Cause" - both written by Leonard Rosenman - played by the London Sinfonietta conducted by John Adams.


If you like context as much as I do, here it is (from Sparknotes) for Steinbeck (as author of East of Eden). This section does not give away the plot. At the end of the context section there is a review of Genesis and the story of Cain and Able.