Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Doll House Pictures

Yesterday's post was the explanation/history. And this (yesterday's post) is very much one of those things where it doesn't look like a "maintenance" post at first glance, but for me, actually is.


As we unpacked, we put all the small stuff on a folding table (in the entry way/by front door) for safe keeping.










This little tree looks very old. It has a place for batteries in the base, so the lights, light (have not tried it yet). I have no memory of where this tree originated, but I recognized it as part of the collection as soon as I saw it. 








This is all the kitchen stuff, setting in a box top, waiting for a second doll house.  That is a china kitten on the stool. There is a mouse by the mouse trap. I made the dry sink from a kit. I also made the round table, no kit, from scratch. I made the peg rack for coats and the tall shelf too. I may have made the armless rocker, from a kit, not sure about that one. That stove is as heavy as it looks.











This is the kitchen table I made. By myself. I must have seen one somewhere to know there was such a thing. There is a name for this type of table, but can't remember and  have had no luck googling it. If you happen to know, please leave it for me in comments. (Woodworking is very much the same thing as quilting. I have been sewing since I was 5-6. My mind works kind of like a large piece of graph paper in how I see things. I think of my environment like a topographical map as I drive too.)












Ice Box. It is not really in keeping with the rest of the furniture. I suspect someone gave it to me. The old house we first lived in when I was born, still had the original ice box in the kitchen. We didn't use it. But it was there.






I am pretty sure I made this dry sink from a kit.


















Tiny odds and ends for all over the house.







More tiny things.






A player piano, that no longer plays. One of the only casualties of time.







The clothes pin is holding an unfinished picture frame that middle re-glued. It just happens to be drying on the corner of the porch. That same corner is where the broken post is missing. The outside of the house (windows, door, siding, shingles, porch) is exactly how I bought it. You can see the attraction. All the things which never were finished on mine (long ago) were finished from day one on this house. And honestly, I loved the colors. 





We are deciding which paint for which rooms. We felt like we had to decide what was going in each room, to decide the colors.






Attic painted green. This the left side of the attic as you look at the back of the house. Rug is new. Tiny chair and stool by window are from local craft store. We are going to paint them. Braided rug is new. We had lots of huge braided rugs when I was little (like on the living room floor.) That 'quilt' is a piece of fabric that actually looks quilted. I made the quilt, pillows, mattress, sheets, etc. Pitcher and bowl are porcelain. 







Right side of the attic as one looks in the back. I had that woven rug with my things. 














Those are bunnies in a half barrel. We are assuming it is some type of toy. If you know any more about this piece, please me me know.








The rug is new. 












Dressing Table




I made the perfume bottles with beads. They are sitting in a tray made from the metal plate that goes behind a cut stone to make it a necklace. Tiny hand mirror and brush are on the right side.




That is a "pearl" necklace in the drawer.








This room is painted pink. This rug is new also. I 'made' the chest by painting it, appliqueing a rose on the top and adding hinges.

I think dresser was actually a kit I made.








This room is painted peach color. New rug, we were very pleased the shape of the alcove was repeated in the rug. We made a paper pattern from the measurements on the website, to be sure it fit, before we ordered. The table to the right holds a sewing machine. My paternal grandmother had a rocker like that. 




The bellows on the fireplace "work" and are youngest very favorite thing. 







Two new rugs. We actually had a (full size) roll top desk when I was a child. It had belonged to a doctor. My brother has it now. I believe when he and his finance condense households in a year or two, that desk is coming to my house. Will be very glad to have it. Although I have absolutely no idea where we are going to put it . . . 





The basket holds a key to the front door. I made the navy quill from a bead and a feather. The green quill came with the desk blotter set which also included the calendar on top the desk and the pad/pencil in the cubbie.


















If you are curious about my 'photo studio' for doll house furniture -