Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Holiday Framed Needle Work

If you remember, I have two huge rails/shelves in my kitchen where we change pictures with the seasons. If want to find pictures of my kitchen, there are lots of them, link is on my side bar. I have several holiday pieces. This post contains three, all made by me, which I love.




This first one (above) is cross stitch. It is a small count, which means big weave, so it went very fast. It is a simple pattern. Yes, that is a ceramic button for the heart. The frame is wooden and off the rack, so the frame was inexpensive. However it was stretched and framed at a regular shop, expensive, so it was done well. I really like the frame because it is "carved". This piece is 18" x 22".  I always put glass on things so they stay nice. My kids WILL want all the framed stuff at our house. So each piece feels like a good investment.




This next piece (below) is all done by machine. I think I pieced the background (curved seam sewing the woods to the night sky) and then the rest of the pieces are layered on top of each other and machine appliquéd. Notice I trimmed behind the snowman bottoms so there are no shadows.  This was also professionally framed and is behind glass.  This piece is 18" x 36".








This next piece (below) is also appliquéd, but was all done by hand. I started with the blue background and each piece was placed on top and sewn. The porch rails and window panes were embroidered. The candles and lightening rods are beads. The wreath and tiny showman are ceramic buttons. There is a button cardinal in the top of the tree. The larger snowman and his hat are some type of felt. The rest of the fabrics are traditional woven cotton.  This piece is 16" x 20" and is also behind glass.