Thursday, December 24, 2015

I am pretty sure I have never discarded a cord, in my life

Not a charger cord, not a connection cord.

If it looked like a cord, I kept it, in a big bin in the garage.

Big bin in the bottom of the cupboard with the tools.

The bin was overflowing and a tumbled mess.

I hauled it in the living room.

It was all I could do to lift it. Evidentally cords are very dense.

I dumped the bin.

Oldest said - I guess we're committed now.

I had labels and zip-ties ready.

I detangled.

He identified.

It went very quickly.

It either went in the recycle pile on the floor at his end of the couch, or I coiled/zip-tied/labeled it and it went back in the bin at my end of the couch.

He was helping youngest with her game, so she was there too. Sometimes it took both of them to figure out if we were really ever going to need a cord again.

We found a cord for middle's Apple laptop in there. We found cords for camcorder in there. We found cords for one of the digital cameras in there. We found a lot of other cords and Y connectors and things that he had me keep. And now he knows what is in the box. So if he is on the phone, long distance helping me, he will be able to say - go get the one that says xxxxx, that is what you need.

Probably 80% went in the recycle pile, which my husband boxed and put in the garage. I will take it to the electronics recycling center this week.

There is now enough room left in the bin that when I find stray extension cords or plug in timers or power strips, they can go in there too.