Thursday, January 07, 2016

Electricity

We have a power strip at each end of our couch in the living room. They are plugged in behind the couch, set so they are peeking out of the corners. They are always there, available. They are in constant use.

There is a two plug socket built/set into the floor in front of the couch. If we had little kids here, it would stay covered. Currently it is uncovered and available for use. It is handy.

I have a power strip next to my bed.

The kids have electrical sockets right next to their night stands.

We have charger cords set in key places all over the house. Middle's boy comes without his phone charger and uses mine, because there are three available. In my car, next to the elephant by the backdoor, in the living room. When our friends stay, they use my husband's charger, always plugged in the same spot in the kitchen.

An extension cord lives in my travel case. If I got somewhere without it, we would have to go buy one.

iPad and phone for me. iPad, phone and lap top for everyone else at my house. If we have 2-3 of us gathered in one space, in the house or traveling, we require a lot of plugs.

We have two TV's, a DVD player and a wide variety of gaming systems all set together in the living room. Cord heaven. Lots of plugs in use.

We have lots of Amish neighbors. Their plug useage is much, much smaller. Cell phone charger and probably a freezer. (I honestly do not know about refrigerators). Maybe a washing machine. All run by generator, not on the grid. (They cook on a wood stove and hang wet laundry on a line and sweep the floor with a broom).

When our power goes out, which very rarely happens, I am at a loss. Everything I go to do requires power. Eventually I find something that can be done and I settle in, maybe with one of the battery lanterns, with cards or a game or cleaning out a drawer. It feels like a lost time, not a found time. I am just marking time until the power returns.

Grid dependent, yes.