Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Thinking caps please - zipper board

http://laughingkidslearn.com/diy-zipper-board-for-kids

I would like to make a zipper board for middle's preschool classroom.

I am not using cardboard.

And I am not using glue to hold the zippers. I am sewing the zippers to fabric.

My plan is to make something that looks like a small pillow case and sew the zippers to the case.

And then slip a board of some type into the case. And sew it firmly shut. (I might need to put glue on the edges to keep the case from slipping). And I might use canvas so the case is very stiff, sturdy.

Can you put your thinking caps on please?

I need help thinking of what board to use.

I wandered thru a box store and a dollar store looking for ideas, no luck. The only thing I saw that was a possibility was a cutting board, but it was too dense. It would hurt if they dropped it on their foot. (And it was too expensive. I am looking for nearly free. I would be most happy if I used something I already had.)

A clerk at the dollar store suggested an actual board from the lumber yard. Maybe. But what kind of board?

I first rejected the idea of foam core board. But am now wondering about two layers of foam core. That might be sturdy enough and will not hurt them if they drop it on their foot. But not sure it will hold up long term. Two layers of foam core with something in the middle?

And I keep going back to idea of cookie sheet or back side of jelly roll pan. Those would be very sturdy. Might be able to find at goodwill.

Ideas please?

Planning to do the same thing with a button board.
http://www.rockabyebutterfly.com/2012/01/button-board.html

And I might make two of each so she can have a "station".

So I probably need four boards.