Sunday, August 07, 2016

Stargate (again), Veep, and Downton

Youngest and I watched Stargate (SG1 TV show and the related movies) in the days of checking DVD's out of the library and waiting for Netflix DVD's in the mail. A marathon in those days was 2-3 shows in a row when we scored at the library on the same day the mailman was beloved.

I am rewatching the series on Amazon prime right now. The series will take me a long time, because I fall asleep part way thru at bedtime and then watch the second half the next night.

(I always have wondered if Kurt Russell was sorry he didn't stick around for the series (he did the first movie). Richard Dean Anderson is such a good fit that I always have wondered if the series would have faired as well with Russell.)

Meanwhile, my husband really wanted to watch Veep. Also on Amazon Prime. I thought I would love it because I adore Julia Louis-Dreyfus. I tried. Maybe as many as the first ten+ shows, so I really tried. I can see why other people, my husband included, think it is very funny. It just makes me sigh or cringe, depending on the episode. My favorite character is Gary Walsh (Tony Hale). His attention to detail and ability to take care of her is clever and sweet and funny. But the rest of it just isn't for me. I stopped part way thru the roast episode because I did not think I could bear whatever was going to happen with her song. Season 2 episode 4. So, I am done. My husband watches things I do not like when he is on the elliptical. So I hope Amazon Prime is on our Roku system.

Also on Amazon Prime is Downton Abby. Middle did not see it when it aired. She is loving it now. I think she might be on season three already. (Being PBS, it is short seasons. She is going to be very sad shortly, because I think there are only eight six seasons. Finding a great series and then having it end, with no more, is sad. Be careful not to say anything that would be a spoiler for her. Somehow she knew nothing about the show.) I think she has two more weeks before her boy is back on campus. It is a good end of summer show. I had to talk her into trying it. But it hooked her immediately.