Monday, May 15, 2017

Flower boxes

My husband and I planted all three flower boxes yesterday. These are massive.

I think we planted them last year too. (But skipped several years before that due to weather, travel, health.)

Of course we had no way of knowing what a mild winter it was going to be. And good thing because the boxes/pots were never emptied last fall.

And we decided, planting this year, we were going to just use the same dirt. First time ever. Normally we empty in the fall and refill with fresh dirt in the spring. Anyone know about how long dirt can be reused like this?

I bought all the plants at a flea market. And I am never going to do that again. First, I took the risk of them surviving in the car trunk for hours. Second, I am not sure it was cheaper. Third, I was not supporting my local nursery, and I should be.



This box has geraniums, Salvia, and wave petunias.




Salvia and Wave petunias. 

Just Salvia in this one. Still deciding what else to plant.Those are a friend's trees in pot.








See how big these hosta are?
Massive. A bunny ate them down to the dirt last year.
Luckily they came back.

The hosta in this bed were not as mature as the previous picture. Some did not survive the bunny. Others barely survived the bunny. We have a fox now. And I am hoping he ate that specific bunny. We weeded this bed yesterday. And mulched. And I  staked every hosta spot. Replacing the empty spots. Looking for protection basket type thing to put over each of them, just in case the fox is not doing his job. 







I have planted milkweed here two summer in a row. So far nothing.
And I am afraid to weed in case those are milkweed.  




Lilac. Planted one or two summers ago. Bunny has left them alone.







 Lily of the Valley, in bloom.Hundreds of them.And they are spreading rather than condensing. Which is interesting. Normally when you see a bed of Lily of the Valley, they are very tightly bunched. These are evenly spaced, can see ground between them.