It has been sitting in the same spot in the kitchen for many years.
I took this picture today, but it looks just like previous pictures.
The three little chairs are always on top. The three little trees are always to the side. (And at Christmas the three little penguins are added on the chairs.)
When I was getting ready to graduate from college, I asked for it. So very glad I did. This piece has always meant a lot to me.
Previously, it was in my grandmother's basement with about 14 coats of paint on it. Probably from the days when spring "cleaning" meant putting a new coat of paint or varnish on walls and floors. This would have been a kitchen cupboard, so it would have been in the same category. Scrub it down with a brush, and put another layer of paint on it.
My grandmother had it stripped for me. 1983. And I refinished it.
I am not sure anyone but the antique's roadshow would argue with redoing it. In its painted state, it was really dreadful.
And honestly, in its refinished state for 35 years now, it looks old.
The antique's roadshow would also be horrified to know I had the wooden panels taken out of the top doors and glass replaced. Also 35 years ago. And I am not sorry about that either.
The plate rail groove cut into each shelf, is very far from the back wall of the cabinet.
Yesterday my husband added a second rail to each shelf by going up, not down. He added a trim piece, painted to match the stain (I had the paint) and held in place by 5 tack nails. This allows me to put a second row of plates in the cabinet.
The original rail is cut fairly deep and on an angle. So there is a slope. The added piece sets right at the top of that slope.
This need to store more plates originated when I sent my husband up to the attic for what I thought was three boxes of china. This tea set, my mom's old china, and my grandmother's old china.
He came back with ten boxes. Glassware, serving pieces, ice buckets. ALL kinds of things packed at the old house and put directly in the attic at this house.
It took me several weeks to get thru it all.
Nothing went back in the attic.
It was sold, given away, put away in my pantry, or put in this cupboard.


