Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Security door

Our front door (security) has bothered me for many years.

It is a big solid door. But basically it was one deadbolt between me and the outside.

And yesterday I found the plate that holds the deadbolt in the doorframe, was put in with (measly)  3/4” screws. So my feeling that someone could use a shoulder or foot to break thru, was probably true.

On the rare occasions I am home alone, overnight, I have always barricaded it. And it has really worried/scared me.

And even during the day, I have felt vulnerable.

A real problem was if I opened the door, to answer it, I was totally exposed.




So yesterday, all this was solved when Lowe’s installed a new security door, the kind with metal bars on it.

And it has a deadbolt that requires a key from either side. So if someone breaks the glass out of the security door, or the glass out of the window next to the door, they cannot reach in and simply turn the deadbolt. They need a key.

For fire safety, I am putting a key on a string, so it stays put, on the inside, where it cannot be reached from the outside.

And it does “go” with the house. The metal bars blend with the lines of the front door. The black blends with trim on the shutters. The door is “chunky” like the rest of the house.

An added bonus, that I had not really considered, is this door adds a “window” to the entry way. I can leave the solid inside door open during the day for added light and the view. It is very cheery. And the dogs can now see out the door.

I am very pleased.