My mom, husband and I went to my mom’s first cousin’s house to scan photos, a couple Saturday’s ago.
This is our second time going to a relatives for a mass scan, we went to Iowa in the summer of 2019, very good timing. Middle went with us to my husband’s cousin’s house, we stayed the weekend. Eight months later, we were in a long lockdown.
On that first trip, my husband labeled each photo, on his lap top, as he scanned, which was time consuming.
This trip, I used post it notes and the camera on my phone, which worked better.
What mattered, what I needed to document, was what I did not know by sight.
I knew I was coming home to move the photos from my husband’s laptop, which we had taken in order to use our portable flatbed Epson scanner, to our PC. I also knew I was immediately going through all the photos, labeling them on the PC.
So I only needed to make notes on what I did not know, mostly years and locations. If I knew the people, I did not need a note.
This worked very well. I wrote most of the notes myself as I loaded the scanner. Sometimes my mom’s cousin wrote longer things out for me. Most of the photos were not labeled. I had my mom and her two cousins to help look/think/calculate. I am very good with identifying people in photos.
My husband ran the laptop/scanner.
(My mom mostly enjoyed looking at photos and talking with her cousins, who she had not seen in person in decades, but chats with them online on occasion.)





