You may have heard of Ancestry and Family Search which are online databases for genealogy.
In the USA there is Fold3 for military records.
I have not used it a lot, it is on my “futures” list.
I just saw an interesting article (below). This topic does not pertain to me, probably not to you either, but it is a good read -
https://blog.fold3.com/wwii-research-and-the-missing-air-crew-reports-collection
This one definitely pertains to me -
https://blog.newspapers.com/exploring-the-society-pages-in-the-newspaper
I discovered that in the 1950’s one of my great aunts wrote a column for the local newspaper in my original hometown. She lived in an area of the county, outside of town, that was active. She wrote about their local activities as well as the community member’s family activities including our extended family.
I have placed lots of dates using her column. The best example is I now know when my grandparents moved, because my Great Aunt Dee wrote about going to their new house for a small dinner party.