Friday, June 21, 2024

Rachel Joyce

Note one -  

Rachel Joyce is a British author I enjoy, her writing is excellent. 

I would not likely have found her on my own. 

This is why book groups are very good for me. 


Note two - 

I listen to all books. I use the library audio book loan systems and also Audible. I use the words “read” and “listen” interchangeably as I write. But every book is “read” in the audio format. I read no hardcopy books. 



Background - 

I have belonged to other book groups in the past. They are all gone now. I currently belong to three new-to-me book groups. One of the groups meets twice each month. So I read four books a month and then attend the groups to talk about them. They meet at different locations - a library, two different coffee shops, a community meeting house. All the groups are facilitated by librarians. The librarians chose all the books. 

My youngest daughter attends one in person book group a month where she lives. It is at a library and organized by a librarian. It is a big active group. They have a carry in holiday party, in December, at the librarian’s home. Each monthly book is chosen by the group. They pick the books for the whole year in advance. A different member facilitates each book. 

My other daughter attends one book group that meets in a group call every Sunday night. They read a few chapters at a time. These are all people she knows, who live around the country. The rest of the members are all guys, she is the only female. She gardens or cleans while they chat. 



Today’s post -

One of my book groups assigned Maureen by Rachel Joyce. 

I was super pleased to discover Rachel Joyce is a British author. British books, in audio format, are a treat for me. Love the accents. Love the vocabulary. 


Here is the list of Rachel Joyce’s books - 


Rachel Joyce has short stories and novelettes also. 



Maureen is the third in a series. I read the first two Harold Fry books before I read the assignment/Maureen. 

I am someone who prefers to read books in chronological order. With this Harold Fry series, it is vital they are read in order. 

The librarian did not realize Maureen was part of a series when she assigned it. I was the only person to read all three books in order before the meeting. 



Note - Maureen was originally published as Maureen Fry and the Angel of the North. The book lists I found online were confusing until I realized the title had been changed.


So I started with The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I struggled for the equivalent of just a couple pages, then settled in beautifully. It was well written. Although, I did not like the main character, I really liked the book. 

The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy was an outstanding book, really excellent.

Maureen was also very good. 

These three books would make a great subject for a college literature class. Yes, I do recommend them, but be forewarned if you are triggered by cancer/death.



The Harold Fry series/writing/story reminded me a little bit of another series. 




Because I read at least four books a month, and read book club books so I finish just before the meeting, it is a delicate balance to fit all my reading in order. 

If I like a book club book, I usually read all the books by that author. I usually read books in chronological order. With book club finds, the order becomes tricky. 


I listened to the Harold Fry series (great series) and Perfect (below) before the book club meeting. Perfect was good, but not outstanding. 

Then I listed to another book for one of my other book groups. 

Then I listened to The Bookstore (below), which was good, but not outstanding.

Then there was another book for one of my other book groups, and then I finished Miss Benson’s Beetle, which was really excellent.