I have been quilting for decades.
I have never kept my fabric scraps. I have a bag going at all times. My larger/useable trimmings go in the bag. When the bag is full, I give it away.
When I start a project, my good with color quilting friend often calls dibs on specific fabric. So she not only gets the scraps, but she gets the larger leftovers too.
Other quilters have commented on this habit of mine, over the years, because it is unusual, most quilters have lots of scraps. In fact people write extensively over how they store and save their scraps. Again, not me, I rehome all scraps.
A unique recent comment caught my attention.
I was at a sewing bee, and we were talking about my not keeping fabric scraps, and one of the quilters said she just recently realized she is a slave to her scraps.
When most people say that they are talking about sorting and storing their scraps, that’s a big topic.
But that is not what she meant. She was talking about being creatively restricted by her scraps. Most projects she sews are all about using up the scraps. She is not really designing or planning her quilts, she is just using up what is on hand.
Do I make scrap quilts? Yes, I love them. But mine are not made with literal scraps. I plan and collect fabric to have a scrappy look, without using actual scraps.