CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.We paid for the season up front. We got what we got in the box each week (which was way too many starches and peppers). We had to travel to pick up the box.
The "food/organic farmer box/farmer markets" label at the bottom of this post will take you to all posts related to that topic.
The program we belonged to in 2009 did not work well for us.
I joined a new program this week which I think will work for us.
The differences are -
This program is large (regional, and buying from organic farmers across the country rather than one, local farmer). The diversity of products is pretty huge.
There are organic products available through this program that are not offered (organic) in my local stores.
I am emailed a list of what is (to be) included in my box one week in advance and I can change items to better suit my needs (I can delete items, increase volume of items, add other items). So I can plan what I need to put in my box and what I can buy in my local stores.
The box is delivered to my front porch.
My box arrives on Friday afternoon and I normally batch cook/prep over the weekend.
The program runs year round.
I pay for one week at a time. I can drop at any time. I can suspend a week if we are gone.