Friday, March 15, 2013

Sweatshirt blankets

Sweatshirt blankets can be found in most university bookstores (these days).

This is the closest link I could find. Cotton/poly blend, heavy, 50 x 60 is a close match.

I am not sure if they are a new thing. We started seeing them when the oldest started undergrad college 5 years ago. I do not remember seeing them when my husband and I were in college (1979-1983). So somewhere in that 25 year time span, sweatshirt blankets were designed and began being marketed.

I think the first one we bought was for my mother's husband - because, in the end, it was very difficult to come up with gift ideas for him.

I put a sweatshirt blanket on my birthday or Christmas list last year. Mine is green and has oldest's undergrad college emblem on it. It lives in my car. I use it ALL THE TIME.

Oldest has a blue one, also from his undergrad school. His lives in his apartment.

Thank goodness I thought to ask him to throw it in the car before he picked me up at the airport last Saturday. I napped with it in the car. I used it under the hotel sheets/blankets, next to my body, each night. I need a room that is pretty cold to sleep well, but then freeze.  It is two fold, I do better if I breathe cold air, I get cold easily.

When oldest and youngest travel with me, they bring a twin size fleece blanket which they use in bed the same way (because they are sleeping in the same cold room, with me).

Sweatshirt blankets would make a very good gift idea for many people. College emblem ones are good in some families. Special ones with a family crest or family name would be another idea.