Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Kitchen Pictures / Household Hints


Organic (fresh) strawberries were on sale at the food coop. I walked by them the first time. But they were on my mind and I thought of an experiment to try.  Two days later, I bought the remaining two packages. I brought them home, washed and cored them, cut them in quarters and then spread them out on this cookie sheet (it might actually be a jelly roll pan, because there is a edge/side) and put them in the freezer. 

I put the frozen strawberries in a freezer bag. The tray above fit in a one quart freezer bag. This is not the whole two packages of fresh, because youngest and husband ate a few while I was prepping. This worked well, the strawberries ARE individually frozen, none are stuck together. This is flash freezing and worked well with CUT strawberries (CUT was my experiment). The youngest, middle, husband have been taking a few out to add to yogurt or a plate of other food. They do not eat them frozen (can eat raspberries right from the freezer). But in the 1/4 sliced form, they thaw quickly.

The bag on the left says "asparagus/chicken soup" and the bag on the right has a V for vegetarian (I have two at my house) and is Lentil soup. That is one serving each, of soup cold from the refrigerator in one quart (each) bags. I put them, flat, in the freezer to keep an easy to thaw (not a big block, but a flat plain) shape. Yes, the trick to this is to be sure those zip lock seals are really zip locked!

This is Buffalo Vegetable soup, clearly not vegetarian, that has been frozen. My husband eats soup a lot. These one serving sizes work well for him. He gets one out of the freezer, and wedges it upright in the refrigerator to thaw. Then he eats it within a day or two. This soup was all sold, one serving size, at our food coop. Each one was dated and marked down. I pick up soup there, and freeze for my husband on a very regular basis. It gives him a much wider variety. It is no different than I would make at home, because I cook from many of their same recipes.  I still make soup at home. But honestly, no, I am not going to cook a big batch of Buffalo (for example, girls will not eat it because of meat, I cannot eat it because of many of the vegetables). Buffalo is very good. Tastes like beef. Better numbers.