Thursday, November 13, 2014

My dishwasher and I now have a peaceful relationship, no little signs needed

I try to live as hassle-free as possible.

Big things happen, little things happen, but if a habit or system can be set in place to take away the daily hassles, I am all over it.

If you open my dishwasher, at any time it is not running, the dishes are clean, always.

So we do not need a little sign that says "clean" or " dirty".

Unless you see all the lights and hear it running, the dishes are clean.

Any kid, at my house, knows they can open the dishwasher and get a clean item, if they are looking for something specific.

I have a long history with dishwasher filters getting built up/dirty. So all dishes are thoroughly rinsed and often scrubbed with a brush before they go in the dishwasher. Everyone at my house, including middle's boy, knows how I like the dishwasher loaded. They can do it. But honestly, I like to do it myself. So, I am happiest with the system where dirty dishes are left in the sink. Dirty dishes go in the sink, rinse first please. Set to soak if needed.

We eat mostly from home, we have a busy house. It is not hard to round up a load at any given time.

I empty the clean dishes. Then I either leave it empty, or refill and run immediately.

And I am no longer trying to fit as much as possible in the dishwasher.

If it is mostly full, I just go ahead and run it.

Sometimes I send my husband to hunt for odds and ends of dirties around the house. Sometimes I throw in a fruit/veggie dish from the island. I can always add a Kleen Kanteen or two. But if it is just mostly full, I just go ahead and start it. It makes things flow more smoothly, less stressful.

Because dishes are a constant around here.

If they were a frustration, it would be a constant thing.