I spent extra time this week working on tree skirts.
I remade one.
If you remember, I made a serious error in sewing this one (below) together. I sewed from outside to center on each seam. And this made the whole thing cockeyed, like a broomstick skirt. Now was the time to fix it, while I had my Christmas tree skirt brain functioning. So, I spent Wednesday unsewing and resewing. I ripped out every other seam. And I resewed those seams from center to outside. And as you can see from the picture (below), it now is flat and lovely.
 |
This is the first one I made (weeks ago) that sort of made the non-quilt people feel a bit Kaleidoscope-y. Too many colors and too many patterns.
Do not feel bad, oldest felt that way too.
And we all decided this was too narrow of strips, which then made it too many strips.
If you remember, because of this, I drafted my own pattern for future skirts (see below).
I appreciate ALL input, keep it coming, because I am giving five Christmas tree skirts as wedding gifts this year.
So, after hearing thumbs up from some and thumbs down from others, color wise, I arrived at the solution to let each couple chose their tree skirt. I am making a stash so there is a selection.
Middle has already claimed this tree skirt (above).
|
I made a second one from scratch this week also. The first in my stash.
 |
| Yes, it blends into my light floors in this picture. Not an ideal picture, but I was not going to make my husband move the tree. The tree is in the middle of the hall/entryway intersection while I make these skirts. This is the first skirt with my self drafted pattern - wider strips and a smaller circumference. I am making just one of these, to put in my selection. If someone chooses it first, then I will make a second one to put back into the mix. |
 |
| Here is a close up, in my regular picture taking spot (window seat when there is indirect sun and therefore no shadow), of the new one. It looks gold-ish to me in real life. It might look more beige in the pictures. And it does not look homemade to me. I serged the seams. I top stitched all the seams. The hem was turned with gold bias tape. It looks very professional. |
 |
Here are the two next to each other so you can compare the color depth.
Now I have to say, my husband thought the new gold one was the most boring thing he had ever seen. But,
1. he is used to quilts, my quilts.
2. he is used to a lot of rich colors in pretty much everything I do.
When I said - picture how stellar this new one would look under a tree filled with gold ornaments and gold trim. Or gold and white decorations.
He said - It could be in a magazine, would look really good.
It would. |