A couple months ago I had ground turkey (extra lean ground turkey) burger, and then I got a migraine.
A few weeks later, it happened again.
And I thought I remembered it happening other times in the past. Like I had vague notion it was a pattern in the past too.
I called my husband and told him I thought I was now (freaking) being triggered by extra lean ground turkey.
And a few hours later he said he had looked it up and the ingredients were turkey and rosemary. Did I have a history with rosemary?
I was not sure I had ever had Rosemary other (evidently) than when I was getting it with the ground turkey. I don't even have Rosemary in my spice collection.
He said he did not think ground turkey was causing a migraine but we should try it again on a day that nothing else was likely to cause a migraine (my cycle, a storm, stress, etc).
So we tried it a few days later. NO migraine.
We tried it again a week or so later, no migraine.
So what I think was happening is that on a day a migraine was possible, I was feeling the first tell tale migraine line of pain, I craved a burger.
Now I want to add that I have had other things where I ate them for years and then one day I could not eat them any more (cantaloupe, cashews, beets, etc). So I do watch for patterns. Patterns are important for both migraines and asthma.
But I have found other things that I was subconsciously picking up on body cues and then reacting.
An example of this is gummy fiber.
I thought it worked for me.
I was not taking them at a regular time. I was taking them more impulsively, but every day.
And each time I took them, I pooped within a short interval.
But one day it occurred to me that I might be attracted to the sugar. And I might be taking them when I was subconsciously picking up on body cues.
So one day I THOUGHT about taking them, but did not take them, and I still pooped a short time later.
AHA!
Very interesting.
I have been meaning to note (all that) for a while. What brought it to mind today, was a post in Amalah's archives about gummy vitamins and cavities.
http://alphamom.com/parenting/toddler-parenting/toddler-toothbrushing-wars-continued/
I am against gummy vitamins in general. I think kids need to take big pills and little pills and shots just because it is something you do. It is a life skill. Sugar (and cheese) does not have to go on everything . . .
And if you start brushing teeth very early, the kids just don't know any different. And going to the dentist can be eased.
(Amalah writes she uses a brush that goes on the finger and brushes her kids teeth after nursing/bottle as part of going to bed routine. She writes a lot about not nursing/bottle to sleep, but instead nursing and then brushing, rocking, singing, book and THEN bed starting by about six months. And she writes about no bottles at all after 12-13 months. I have no pacifier or bottle experience, but it is still interesting to read. Because yes, I have seen 3-4 year olds with one of those many times).
Ditto with showers, water on face, going under water. (Yes, I know that sometimes an incident can create a fear of something they have always done). But if it is something they have just always done, you do not have a four year old freaking out about putting their face in the water at swim lessons.