Wednesday, April 01, 2020

My first online grocery order

I ordered online thru Kroger.

I started my list on the weekend, I added, as I thought of things, up until Tuesday night at midnight.

I pulled into a order pick up parking spot at Kroger at my assigned time (Wednesday 1pm).

I called the number on the parking spot sign and gave them my name.

My order rolled out about 15 minutes later.

I opened my trunk, paperwork and groceries were placed in my trunk. I had put a $5 bill in trunk for delivery person tip.

I did not get out. I did not open my window.

I had ordered almost $200 worth of groceries. I was missing 17 items, my total was $120.  My paperwork included a list of what was missing. My neighbor has been averaging 2/3 of her orders. She suggested over order and diversify. I did not get peanuts, yeast, rice noodles, onions, asparagus, bell pepper, Mrs Grass soup, pizza crust.

I pulled in driveway and my husband helped me “wash” groceries. We worked directly out of the trunk of the car. We did not carry bags in the house.

He opened boxes and I pulled out clean liners full of food (cereal, crackers), he put the boxes straight in recycling, I took the food in the house and put it away.

He opened containers and I held clean bag/container for transfer (raisins, flour) and put it away while he put container in recycling.

He carried things in the house one at a time for washing. He washed all the produce and all plastic containers on a tub full of soapy water in the kitchen sink. I dried and put away. I also prepped produce as we went. I switched towels several times in the process. He emptied and refilled the tub several times. We used Dawn as our soap.

The plastic bags from the grocery never came in the house, they went in a bag for recycling.

I did not feel like the kitchen was contaminated. Nothing got set on a counter or the floor.

My husband is the “dirty hands” and I am the “clean”. We both washed our hands many times. We propped open the back screen door so we did not touch anything on the way in and out.




Everyone at my house was very excited by this whole shopping process. They were curious to see what we got and what we did not get.

I started my 2nd order for next Tuesday morning.




Every morning I send a text to my husband, Middle and youngest with food for that day. Today’s said - Spanish tortilla (eggs and red potato) for lunch; stir fry veggies, tofu, rice for dinner.

In the afternoon, I often send them a text that there is something in the kitchen for a snack. Yesterday everyone got 1/4 of a tiny watermelon. Today everyone had 1/4 of a package of strawberries.