Saturday, April 11, 2020

TV Ideas

Middle and I are watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime
Truly some of the best writing ever filmed. Also perfectly cast and directed.

I had seen seasons 1 and 2. Middle had seen season 1. We started a couple episodes from the end of season 1, to refresh our memory, and will finish thru Season 3. Season 4 was ordered but obviously will be indefinitely delayed.

We just saw the episodes from the resorts in the Catskills. Those resorts were new concept to middle. She looked them up and I was surprised to know they are all gone, fallen to utter decay. Evidently when flights became common and affordable, NY emptied to other places in the summer. That is really sad and what a shame.

That lead us to Dirty Dancing which Middle has never seen, so probably we will do that next.



In looking for other movies set in the Catskills, I found this link if you are looking for a virtual vacation:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brickunderground.com/escape/vacation-town-movies-nyc%3famp

What a diverse list that is!



If you are struggling to find things to watch/distract, let me suggest themes/lists.

Super fun to pick an actor or theme and watch that set. Jimmy Stewart, Doris Day, Barbra Streisand, Alfred Hitchcock, Star Trek, John Wayne are some of my favorites.

An author, Agatha Christie for example, who has had most of her books filmed is great fun too. I just did that last month. I had seen most of them, but still enjoyed that large volume of film.

Many TV apps can be picked up for just a month or two at a time. Be sure to unsubscribe as soon as you sign up so it does not automatically renew.

https://babystepsv3.blogspot.com/2020/03/cancellations.html?m=1

BBC (Britbox) and musicals (I am sure there is an app) would be two very fun things to binge. If you have exhausted Netflix, move on to Amazon Prime. If you have exhausted both of those, try HULU.

An example is my mother, who somehow had never watched anything on BBC/PBS. I think she started with Downton Abby. One of her great loves is now Doc Martin. She went on to watch everything with Martin Clunes that she could find.

If you are not as well read in the classics as you would like, could find the film versions of many many classic titles. That would be a great list. I would start by goggling 100 classics everyone should have read. I just rewatched all the Jane Austen movies and really enjoyed them as an immersion set.

Documentaries is another good idea. Ken Burns is a favorite of my husband.

Reality competitions is another good subset. The seasons of Top Chef and Project Runway are available. I am not sure if American Idol and the Voice are available, but even if you know the winners of some years, the singing would be very distracting.

Long running TV series are also possibilities. There are a lot of them.

https://www.wga.org/writers-room/101-best-lists/101-best-written-tv-series/list

Good writing is good writing no matter how old. (I have yet to see The Office or Parks and Recreation or 30 Rock.)