Friday, January 13, 2023

Green Chef

Our youngest is a vegetarian who belongs to Green Chef meal service. She subscribes to the two serving, vegetarian, option. It gives her dinner and then leftovers for lunch out of each bag. (I think she goes out with work friends for her fifth lunch each week.)

She brought her Green Chef bags home over Christmas and cooked for herself. So I saw the process and liked it. 

I subscribed for one week to try it. I did not like the idea of raw meat being shipped, so I used the vegetarian option also. (I always have cooked meat of different types in my freezer, so it is easy to thaw/add some to each meal.)

We are three days into our first four Green Chef bags. 

We like the meals, and the cooking process is very simple. The meals are nudging us to eat more diversely. So, we are pleased. 

The bag procedure I use is to order two serving size vegetarian meals. I add more vegetables and some type of meat to it. This works extremely well. 

The first night (bag 1) I added more rice/mushrooms/and chicken from the freezer, there was enough for dinner and lunch the next day for my husband and I. The second night (bag 2) I added sliced turkey and mushrooms to the sandwiches, no leftovers. Last night’s pasta dish (bag 3) I added cooked lean ground beef/black beans/onion that was ready in the freezer and a few mushrooms, enough for both our dinners and today’s  lunch for my husband. 

I only ordered one week’s worth to start/try it. So next week we are on our own (regular meals/cooking) and I will be able to see how I feel about that process vs the bags. I have already placed orders for the following week to meet the deadline.