Friday, September 08, 2023

Sewing this summer, the first quilt, a 9-patch variation

I made two quilts last year as gifts. They were very simple. 

https://baby-steps-v.blogspot.com/2022/10/we-had-wedding-today.html


I made another quilt, this time a belated/delayed birthday present, in July 2023.

It was a unique technique -

https://my.modafabrics.com/2017/07/woodruff-quilt.html


I made the block in different sizes, to try out the pattern. I used the small size (left) included in the instructions. 




I gathered fabric -





My goal/plan was to make (at least) two blocks per day. This would keep things progressing, not stress my hands, more easily fit into my over busy days, keep things fun.  





Eventually, I was here -





And then I was here -





After a good pressing, and the border added, here -










I dropped it off for my long arm quilter. Here (below) is the motif for the plain/alternate square. The other squares were meandered. The border got parallel lines. 





Back from the machine quilter - 









Extra backing/batting removed when the binding was added. The quilting really shows with the ceiling light off and the natural light shining at an angle.