Sunday, November 11, 2018

We learned - showers

Middle went to a baby shower given by mother of the soon to be new dad. So this was a young pregnant girl being given a baby shower by her mother in law.




We have seen this happen before, so it is a thing. And that is why I am making note.

The couple is young and does not have a lot of $$$ and she was upset with the gifts she received. She was counting on getting new baby staples. And she got mostly fluffy baby stuff. 

The baby is due in a month. They were counting on the shower.

Now, yes, there is the whole - maybe you should have waited a bit to have a baby - topic. But this couple has actually been married for several years and this is a planned baby.

But I am here to say, in these circumstances if you are the grandmother to be, giving a shower, sit down with the couple and help them make a very very good list of only the things they REALLY NEED. Then help them or have someone else help them get their gift registry set up right. And then contact all the family and friends you know well enough to call. And make sure they are only getting very practical things, on the list.

And introduce couple to garage sales if they are pregnant in the right months. Ore resale shops in the winter.  Help them make their list and teach them to barter and to be very picky on quality. And save the things that should only be bought new for the shower - like car seats, diapers, pacifiers, bottles, etc.




After the shower, helping the mother to me, middle heard  how worried and upset this girl was. 

Middle was able to tell them - my mother had the bare minimum of baby stuff - on purpose - three times. 

Because I did not have all the seats and pillows and stations and equipment stuff. At all. (I did not even have cradles or cribs, but I do not recommend co-sleeping even to my own kids). I had car seats, high chair, baby bath tub. That was about IT on furniture/equipment.