http://www.keepingthepoundsoff.com/2011/10/illumination-light-changes-things.html
Jane wrote about turning off the lights and looking for a missing object with a flashlight. Highly effective. I have done that. It works.
I found another effective one, over the weekend, vacuuming in the dark.
Of course your vacuum has to have a light on it for this to work. One of mine does. Usually that vacuum is upstairs, but middle was using the downstairs one and I brought the one with the light down to get the kitchen and hall rugs and the living room.
WARNING - you have to be sure all the charger cords and anything else that might come to harm is put away because you can only see a small area as you go.
But then if you turn off the lights and vacuum only by the light of the machine on the floor, you are going to see things you have never seen before, so much dirt.
WOW.
Very shocking.
This focused light method shows dust and hair and the like that cannot be seen normally. Like it is not enough to vacuum the rugs, the floor needs to be dust mopped extensively.
Evidently my laminate floors do not show dust, blond hair, or either of the dogs' hair. At all. All of that shows on the rugs. And I vacuum the rugs a lot. But the floor usually looks pretty good and does not get much attention.