Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Ribbon instead of hooks

Maybe the whole world does this now.

We tie a loop of ribbon around Christmas tree ornaments (instead of using a hook).

It just makes everything easier and feels safer.

The pup is not allowed on the living room, but if she saw a hook on the floor, she would invade/conquer and definitely chew on it.



Our living room got rearranged this year. I am trying new configurations in preparation for new living room furniture.

The TV is now where the tree has been for several years. A recliner is sitting the tree’s original Position.

I thought about putting the tree in the entryway. And that might be an option in the future. The drawback is it cannot be seen from the outside (in the entryway).

So standing in the living room, contemplating tree placement, it occurred to me that the window seat was perfect. The tree is 6’ and super skinny. From the outside, it looks like a 8-9’ tree that goes to the floor.

The years this 6’ tree is sitting on the floor, I have a wooden box, covered in upholstery fabric, that holds it. With the box, it is just over 7’. The advantage to this 6’ tree is it is super skinny. I do not think I could find a 7-9’ tree this skinny. I like the small space footprint of this tree. And 50 ornaments and about 40 picks covers it. It is easy to put up/take down but looks FULL.

I removed the cushion and all the pillows (from the window seat) obviously. And the room looks far less cluttered.

We removed all the toys that were previously stored in bench. My husband vacuumed/dusted/wiped out the whole thing. That bench is 7’ long so it is impressive. After the tree comes down, extra blankets and pillows (for the Living room) will be stored in the bench. That will make the room look less cluttered.

We discovered there was a plug in the cavity part of the window seat/bench, so cords were easily handled. My husband enlarged the pull/hole and the cord/plug is totally invisible.

The tree is on a 5pm-midnight timer. I have many things on that same timer schedule including all the outside lights. I love having everything inside and out pop on at 5pm.

I do not think the picture does it justice. The lights on the right are our backyard tree. The lights on the left are our neighbor.



I no longer use childhood ornaments on tree. I like a coordinated tree of one or two blending colors. I call that a store or magazine tree.

I sold the (new) ornaments I have been using for the last several years. I spent a whopping $10 on a bucket of 50 ornaments yesterday. The color blends with the ribbon, picks and white lights I already had.

I am also going to weed out the 4+ boxes of old traditional ornaments. I plan to save 50, in case there is a year where I want a traditional tree. But I am selling/donating/rehoming the rest.

So our tree got a new location and a $10 make-over and I am really pleased.