Friday, July 05, 2024

Laundry baskets under the sinks

When we moved from the old house to this house, over twenty years ago, I stopped dumping clean clothes in baskets. In the old days, at the old house, those baskets were so tightly packed, the clothes came out like a cork, holding their rectangular shape.

Twenty+ years ago, I began folding or hanging clothes straight from the dryer so they did not wrinkle. Most of the time these clothes were then put away, not stacked. 

I still sometimes dump clean socks and kitchen towels in a basket, but not clothes. Clothes I fold/hang up, straight from the dryer, every time. 

It is shocking how quick it is to just take care of one load from the dryer. The folding, hanging, putting away is very quick. 

Then I switch the next load from the washer to the dryer and set a timer. 


That habit, taking care of clothes straight from the dryer, really changed my life. It is a habit Dana K White encourages. This habit is an extension of “take it there, now”.


My life with laundry has changed. 

I only do my own laundry. This has been the situation for many years now. My husband does his own laundry on Saturdays. 

I now do my laundry a couple times a week, in very small loads, because my dirty close basket is quite small. I got rid of the big hampers that sat in the floor and put small baskets under the sink.

I am all about reducing stuff these days. I crave empty floors. Putting small baskets under the sink was brilliant for me. I have one under my sink. My husband has one under his sink too.




As soon as it is full, I pull everything out, sort, do a quick load or two. 

This makes laundry nearly invisible to me. 

I love having an empty bathroom floor. Removing the two large laundry hampers helped everything.