Tuesday, July 16, 2024

People come help me clean out my beds

I list what plants need weeded out/removed from my flower beds on Facebook Marketplace. When you have large flower beds, good plant starts come up in the wrong places. 

People usually respond quickly and come to my house. 

I dig, they take. In other words, people come help me weed out my flower beds. 

It moves me along fairly quickly. It rehomes good plants to other gardens. It provides gardening socialization. It is a very efficient system.

Until it is not. 

A week ago, last Tuesday, four people were scheduled to pick up plants. 

Two people were coming for the last of the daisies. 

One person was coming for the last of the trumpet vine.

A landscaper was coming to dig/take lots of red bud starts.


All four were no-shows. 

Three of the four told me they were not coming, hours after I expected them. 

One just flat out ghosted me.


If they all had come, I would have been propelled forward in my gardening, leaps/bounds, that day. 

Since they did not come, it had the opposite impact.

I was very annoyed. FOUR! All on the same day! (This rarely happens with one person, let alone four.) 

I needed those plants to be gone, in order to move forward with my rearranging. 



On the next day/last Wednesday, someone else sent their mother to pick up the rest of the daisies. The lady was at work, she knew I needed them gone, so her mother came to get them. 

Middle helped me dig/bag the whole pile. 

When my husband got home from work he cleaned up the remnants and leveled the flower bed. 


The photo below shows the daisies in place. They are not the nice upright daisies for a flower bed. They bloomed, were beautiful for a short time, and then fell over in a heap. I would call these natural/meadow daisies. I made sure that the people taking starts were planting in a meadow not a neighborhood.





After the first person took starts, a bee keeper with a meadow, I still had a lot. 





After middle helped me dig the rest, for the second person who also has a meadow, my husband cleaned/leveled the bed.