Friday, July 12, 2024

Refrigerators are not made in the same sizes they were 22 years ago

We are not alone. This is happening to multiple neighbors with built in refrigerators also. 

This was our kitchen prior to June 2024 -




One day in early June, I realized both the refrigerator and freezer sections of our 22 year old unit were starting to fail. 

I went to our appliance store the next day with my measurements. 

I was in for a rude surprise, standard refrigerator sizes had changed. We needed several more inches in height and a couple inches in width. 

My husband started demo-ing the area very carefully.

A neighbor helped him trim the mitered skirting/trim boards. 

A professional repaired the drywall. 

Our daughter painted. We had less than a quart of the kitchen paint on hand. She repainted several key areas of the kitchen and hall. She did not waste paint on the lower area that would be behind the refrigerator.