Saturday, January 26, 2013

Books - Black History Month/Classics

February is Black History month in the United States and Canada.

It is observed in October for the United Kingdom.

Just by the luck of the draw, I read
Uncle Tom's Cabin,
Cry, the Beloved Country,
The Tales of Huckleberry Finn, and
Out of Africa 
all in the first few months of 2012.

I commented it felt like it was a personal Black History month, except those books were stretched out over a couple months,  not just February.

I have saved classic titles from my reading list for future Black History Months:
Native Son (1940) by Richard Wright.
The Jungle (1906) by Upton Sinclair.
Their Eyes Were Watching God (1937) by Zora Neal Hurston.
The Color Purple (1982) by Alice Walker
Beloved (1987) by Toni Morrison.

I do not plan another marathon of Black History Books for 2013.

I plan to read Their Eyes Were Watching God.

I will forward the rest of this list of books and any others that come my way, to another reminder post for late January 2014.