Thursday, January 10, 2013

What's in my yoga bag

If you are someone who carries one yoga mat (and that is it) into class, been there, done that. I understand and was at that point once upon a time.



I am in a wide variety of classes on a weekly basis.

I am at studios where props are used in every class.

I leave all the supplies (shown below) in my car trunk 100% of the time.  I simply grab what I need for each class.

I take my Kleen Kanteen into every class. Most of the time, by the end of each class, I have finished one full Kanteen.

I take my phone (on silent) into each class.

In the winter, I wear my boots and then take clean shoes (to change into) for free weights and stations.


For the rest of my supplies -


The simplest class is circuit/stations. For that class, I only take in my beach towel and my strap. I pull them out of my yoga bag and then replace them immediately after class. I use the beach towel under my knees in a lot of stations. Sometimes I use it to prop the back of my butt for better posture. Often at the end of class, there are more people than mats for stretching. I can either sit or lie on my beach towel (folded in half length wise my head and torso and butt fit just fine and it offers a bit of padding from the floor). I use the strap at the end of class to stretch my hamstrings in order to protect my lower back.








The next simplest classes are free weights and Pilates. I take the same supplies into these separate classes. All these supplies fit in my yoga bag (very old, no longer available, originally from Target).




In my yoga bag are the beach towel and strap (shown above).



Also included (in my yoga bag) are my mats. One is full length and the other is half length. When rolled they are exactly the same size in my bag, side by side.





The full length, lighter blue mat is the thinnest I have ever seen. It is 1/8 thick and has a lot of traction. It is a gripping type of mat that prevents slipping. The other, half mat that is more of a royal blue is 1/4 thick. (It started as a full size mat that I cut in half with my kitchen scissors. I gave the other half to one of the women in my free weights class.)  I use it under my hands and knees in free weights class. I fold it in half and then half again and put it under my hands for tricep dips in table stance. I use the half mat under my torso when we are on our sides in Pilates to protect my hip. When I am flat on my back or on my front or on my feet, I do not use the extra padding, I only use the thin mat. 





In the very bottom of my yoga bag are supplies that I sometimes need in free weights or Pilates and a pair of emergency socks.






In the pocket of my yoga bag are other supplies - tissues, foot moisturizer for after class, rescue inhaler, pad, chap stick and hair ties. My hair is not long enough for hair ties, but I keep them there for other people's hair emergencies (sometimes my own girls are with me).






All of those things (show above), stay in my yoga bag.




When I am going to a regular yoga class, I add my two yoga blankets to my bag. I use them (in some form) in every yoga class (under me in shoulder stand so my neck is extended and protected, as a wedge under the back of my butt for improved posture, etc).








For my 1 1/2 hour relaxation class on Sunday nights, I take in my yoga bag, my blankets and also my own bolsters.

My yoga bag, with the blankets, goes over my right shoulder. I can carry all three bolsters in my left arm/hand, that leaves my right arm free for carrying my Kleen Kanteen by its loop, opening doors and signing in at the desk. My car fob is around my neck. My phone is either in my pocket or my bra.  

The class is often crowded, there are not always enough studio supplies for everyone. My bolsters are old, but still very firm. The studio bolsters have lost a lot of their support. I am more comfortable with my face on my own bolsters instead of on studio bolsters where faces, bare feet and clothed butts have been for years.