Did you know Lois Lowry is publishing Son?
Amazon went on to explain that Son is the fourth in The Giver series.
The Giver is a Newberry winner.
Gathering Blue and The Messenger are numbers two and three.
All three kids and I have read/love the first three books in this series.
These (four, Lowry books) are about Dystopian societies on the same planet, at the same (general) time.
Other examples of Dystopian literature include Fahrenheit 451 (1953) by Ray Bradbury, A Clockwork Orange (1962) by Anthony Burgess, Unwind (2007) by Neal Shusterman, The Hunger Games (2008) by Suzanne Collins, The Drowned World, Crash, and The Drought by J. G. Ballard, Worldshaker (2009) by Richard Harland, Divergent (2011) and Insurgent (2012) by Veronica Roth, Wool (2012) by Hugh Howey.
Both girls have read all the Hunger Games books, loved them. Both my girls read Divergent and Insurgent over Christmas break. They both thought Divergent was most excellent (better than Hunger Games). They were both disappointed at the ending of Insurgent. They both are awaiting publication of the third next year.
I preordered two copies of Son for the youngest and middle for Christmas.
By the time they came in November, it was a very welcome surprise (I had forgotten).
Youngest reread The Giver over Christmas break to refresh her mind (it had been a long time since she read that one, she read the other two more recently).
She is still in the midst of Son.
I asked her what she thought. And she said that she started Son and then realized she wanted to reread The Giver because she had an idea who it (I guess the son) was. She also said that Son is a bit like the others where one almost has to read it twice and also have nice discussions on it.
Middle will have it done shortly if she doesn't already.
I have already downloaded Son from Audible.
I will listen when I have an extra few days here or there between book group assignments.