Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My books - The Scarlet Letter (1850) Nathaniel Hawthorne

Wiki writes:
The Scarlet Letter is an 1850 romantic work of fiction in a historical setting, written by Nathaniel Hawthorne. It is considered to be his magnum opus. Set in 17th-century Puritan Boston, Massachusetts during the years 1642 to 1649, it tells the story of Hester Prynne, who conceives a daughter through an adulterous affair and struggles to create a new life of repentance and dignity. Throughout the book, Hawthorne explores themes of legalism, sin, and guilt.


If you like Context sections, you will enjoy the SparkNotes section on Nathaniel Hawthorne. It is very unusual and interesting. It does not give away the plot of the book.



Oldest had read this book, years ago, but did not remember it.

Middle had read it and remembered liking it.



At what I thought was about half way through The Scarlet Letter, I called middle to ask if I needed to be prepared for Tess of the d’Urbervilles part two (tragedy through and through). And middle said no - it is not another Tess.

As it turns out, I was actually at the end of the book. (It was a quick read at about 9 hours.) Middle was right. It is not a tragedy; but it has a firm message.

That is the thing with listening to downloaded audible books, I just start them, and don't actually have any sense of how long they are or where I am in the book. I am truly in the moment, all the way through each book.

Some books, like The Grapes of Wrath, I have a moment of - seriously, there isn't any more? THAT'S IT? - when the reader suddenly announces THE END. 


I enjoyed The Scarlet Letter very much.

I have no idea how I had never read it before now. I think it is a standard read in many high schools. That is where middle and oldest both read it. I think youngest will read it next year.

In audible form, I had no trouble understanding the language.

Most of the people in my reading groups, now firmly believe that it is easier for me (listening) and that I get a lot more out of the books in audible format. There are only a couple other people who listen. Frequently, at meetings, the bound book readers will ask how the audible book came across to me. Most of the time when they are talking about getting into the flow of the language (old books, translations, etc) I have to take a step back to even understand WHY they had troubles adjusting/settling in to the books. 

I truly love having a book read to me. I am quite attached to some of the prolific, audible readers.

My kids did not like to go to story hour at the libraries as they wanted me to read. I read a lot to all three kids over the years. I can understand why they have that attachment.

The only time my kids listen to an audio books (now) is if we are on the road (like when oldest is driving by himself or youngest who gets car sickness from reading). Or middle sometimes listens if she is having trouble with the writing style. I think Great Expectations might have been her first Dickens book. And while that is probably his easiest book, the style was new to her. I think she listened and followed along in the book for school homework.  I think youngest starts Great Expectations next week.