Saturday, July 06, 2013

Back to the closet under the stairs



2009
These are the shelves behind the door in the big closet under the stairs. Closet is sort of an under statement. It is more like a small, odd shaped room.  My darling wood working guy who is slowly losing it, made these shelves long ago (they were in my husband's office at the old house). This is a 2009 picture of the shelves. We cleaned them out in 2010 and art supplies moved here. I do not have a picture of that mess, to the best of my knowledge. But take our word for it, the 2010-2012 art mess looked even worse than this 2009 quilting mess.






Memorial Weekend 2013

Youngest was studying for finals. My husband was sort of puttering around the house. Middle was working on bulletin boards for her dorm and finishing painting letters. Middle was sitting on the studio floor working. The closet under the stairs connects to the studio. I sort of do better if I have company while I clean. Like if you brought your knitting or your lap top and chatted with me while I cleaned, every day, I would have a very clean house.

Memorial Weekend Sunday, I started digging through the shelving unit directly behind the door, because that is where the art supplies now live. I was specifically looking for supplies that might work for middle's bulletin boards.

Did not think to take a picture before I started, because I was not thinking - "cleaning" nor was I thinking "post". Instead I was thinking - look to be sure of what we have before we buy more (bulliten board stuff).

Those art supply shelves were a total wreck. They looked like we had all just short of shoved things in so art stuff would be together, but it sooooooo was not organized.

I ended up taking everything off the shelves and sorting into piles on the floor of the studio (around middle) to see what there even was.

And then it only made sense to maintain the organization. So, I found bins here there and everywhere in the house and attic, organized some more, and put everything back on the shelves. Honestly I did not pitch much. A few things went in paper recycling. Mostly it just needed organized.

2013
Sunday night picture - At that point, I couldn't get far enough away from those shelves to get the whole thing in the picture. The bottom shelf is hidden from view. But you get the general idea. Very tidy.

2013
Monday morning - 24 hours later - picture -  it was slightly fuller and even more tidy. I had also figured out if I moved the chair (out), there was a heck of a lot more room to get a picture and clean. Anyone recognize that bright yellow box? Have one at your house? Those are plastic stencils made by Tupperware. We have had them a very long time.


Monday afternoon - four hours later - final picture. Not only was all the stuff that was originally on the shelves organized and back on the shelves, but major other things from around the house (that fall in the arts and craft category like bead supplies, paint, stencils, etc) are now also on these shelves. AND several of the bins, including one of the large ones on the top shelf are EMPTY for future use. All those bins were floating around the house. I did not go buy any of them for this project. A few of them (like the stencils) were already filled and just needed a (better) place to live. Most (bins) were in the attic, empty.