There was wine and cheese and crackers. We passed on the wine, and had water.
Middle is part mouse. She is a cheese girl. As she was eating, she was looking at the plastic plates they used at the bar. She came home with three.
If I had been thinking, I would have taken pictures at each step.
When she started, she asked for ideas. I referred her back to specific painted letters colors (we love). And I suggested varying over all design and geometric.
She did her own thing with those tiny suggestions to get her started. And I guess that is part if the reason I didn't take step by step pictures. I think they were mostly done the next time I saw them.
Notice she put a flower (of sorts) in the center of each (unifying).
And her colors coordinate well without being too matchy-matchy.
And each piece has a distinct personality.
All painting was done on the back of the plate.
She painted the design first (on the back) with puffy paint (nose tipped bottle).
And then she painted the background (on the back also) with a brush, acrylic paint.
Notice the one plate has two background colors. If you look at the front, you will see how she layered the backgrounds. She left a window for the last background color (the green).
When she was done, she sprayed sealer (on the back).
Part of the 'pattern' you see on the back of the plates is (partly) the pattern 'weave' in the plastic on the back of the plates (you can best see it on the turquoise rim on the back of the plate with the green center). The other part of the pattern you see on the back, is the design paint.
These plates are in NO way washable.
She is using them, at college, as a place to deposit keys, earrings, rings, change, etc.
Painted clothes pins -
These are youngest's. I think middle painted a few of the designs. It is very hard to get pictures of things attached to magnets. They tend to 'move'. As I type that, realize I should have put them on the refrigerator to take the picture. (My guess is middle did that in first picture.)
And these are the same pins as in the above picture, with a friend's pins and middle's original pins (they have magnets in this picture, magnets were added to youngest's and friend's later) added.
Paint bin -
At the time we cleaned out the closet under the stairs, June 2013, the "new" paint bin looked like this:
![]() |
| June 2013 paint bin |
Then middle found ANOTHER small bucket of paint bottles in her desk cupboard.
So the very large empty bin (on the top shelf, in the picture, just below) of the Art Shelves behind the door, became the new home for all things paint. You can see the old paint bin on the right side of the third shelf from the top in this same (June 2013) picture below.
![]() |
| Picture from June 2013 |
![]() |
| New Paint bin, yes, it is lovely. |









