Monday, August 19, 2013

Oldest's Desk and Chairs (east coast)

You might remember this chair -







Hard to believe I posted that poor of a picture once, let alone twice. . .


I bought that chair at a garage sale earlier this spring.

It fit in the backseat of my car and youngest and I took it to the oldest in June.

He is in a furnished apartment. He just signed the lease for his second year. While youngest and I were there, we sorted out what (of the furnished things) he did and did not use. His landlord came and picked up the rejects (bar stools for counter, small table and two very uncomfortable chairs, a room divider, baskets, pillows).

When all of that was cleared away, he still had couch and two end tables, chair and ottoman, coffee table, dresser, bed. And two small side tables that belong to oldest.

Last year he made do with the pedestal table that belonged with the two chairs as a desk. Not ideal.

With the extra room and the desk chair, we hunted for the most economical, but good, desk scenario for him.

Our first thought was Ikea. But there is not one near him. Shipping was $100. And everything he looked at would involve a truck for future moves (everything he owns still fits in his car, but he is up to two trips now, everything went in one trip when he moved east.)

After looking at all the online options, he ended up with two folding tables from Office Depot. They have free shipping on all orders over $50 (yes, even something as heavy as a table). And he ordered each separately, to be able to use two coupons.




One table is 29"H x 30"W x 60"D ($164.99).
The other is 29"H x 24"W x 48"D ($114.99)
Both of those prices are without discount and before tax.
I think I paid $40 for the good quality desk chair.

When we were considering options, I had him put his beach towels on the floor, measured out to the various sizes, to see how the tables fit.

These tables will last forever and can be used in a multitude of ways and are nice surfaces for writing.







My husband uses a set up similar to this in his home office.

My sewing machines (closet under the stairs) are set up on a little table just like this (want very small tables for sewing machines so the tables do not bounce as the machine runs).

Oldest said he noticed his productivity was easier as soon as he got these tables for, in essence, a clean work station in place.