Wednesday, August 14, 2013

My books - Kidnapped (1886) by Robert Louis Stevenson

 Kidnapped is a historical fiction adventure novel by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson. Written as a "boys' novel" and first published in the magazine Young Folks from May to July 1886, the novel has attracted the praise and admiration of writers as diverse as Henry James, Jorge Luis Borges, and Seamus Heaney. A sequel, Catriona, was published in 1893.

As historical fiction, it is set around 18th-century Scottish events, notably the "Appin Murder", which occurred near Ballachulish in 1752 in the aftermath of the Jacobite Rising. Many of the characters, and one of the principals, Alan Breck Stewart, were real people. The political situation of the time is portrayed from different viewpoints, and the Scottish Highlanders are treated sympathetically.






Yes, I did listen to this book. It was slow going, over the last week, but I did manage to do it.

If you remember, I was not able to listen to audio books the end of the summer (right about the time middle was going back to school). At that time I needed pop music.

How did I do? Well, I certainly could not pass a test on the content of Kidnapped. But I did manage to hang on to the main points well enough to follow the plot.

I do tend to like the classic "boy books", so that helped. Yes, I did like this book, even though I was in somewhat of a muddled state as I listened.

I am switching it up to a modern book next, to see if I do better.