Sunday, March 13, 2016

Christmas Tree Skirts - what do you think?

ADDED LATER - found pictures of some wedged Christmas Tree Skirts.





This was the first one, made many years ago for my mother. The picture shows it folded in half. It is regular cotton fabric. She has a small tree, so this is a small skirt.

My husband (and I think oldest) does not care for the point ends. I like them on this small skirt where there are just a few. I am not at all sure I would like a lot of them on a large skirt with lots of narrow wedges. What do you think?






Here is the fabric I collected for this round of Christmas Tree Skirts. These are all upholstery weight. (I added more after this picture was taken.)






First of all, I would like to note that these wedges are too narrow. I ordered a rotary ruler to make cutting easier. I did not realize how narrow these strips were in comparison to my mother's (above). When she dug out her skirt (above) for me to compare, I realized the error of my ways. However, since these pieces are all cut, the first skirt is going to use them. Future skirts will be wider strips.

My husband came to lend his eye and told me it was too chaotic looking. He was right.


He told me to keep the ends straight and make a traditional round skirt (not the pointy ends like my mom's quilt) for this one, for sure.






This is the next try (at layout). I cut more of the lightest strip and placed them every fourth piece. Better. (Yes, this picture is out of focus. I didn't realize it until I saw it full size here. I was standing on a slipper chair with one foot on the arm for balance, holding my iPad out as far as I could over the floor. It is a wonder they are not all out of focus. Sorry.)






The lightest strip is now every third piece and the three/between pieces now follow a blue - green - red pattern. It is all about the eye having somewhere to "go", in my opinion.






The strips on the top of the picture are every other one with the light strip. The bottom half the picture shows the every three variation. 

I think one of these is the best option. Sometimes I look at it and think one is best, then I look again and change my mind.

Which do you prefer?

And do you like this skirt in general?

Pleased to get it as a wedding gift?