Saturday, March 05, 2016

I mended for four hours straight on Saturday afternoon

 I think it was four pairs of jeans for middle's boy. I reinforced four back pockets. I mended two or three knees. I mended one thigh. I fixed almost all of the hems/slits up pant legs. I fixed one belt loop.



The pile that is closer is jeans to be mended. The pile that is further is saved hems and legs out of old jeans that I use as patches. There can be a very big hole in a knee, on a pair that is no longer worn, and the whole back side of the leg is still very strong, perfect for a patch.





This first one is a torn belt loop. Not only is the belt loop hanging loose, there is a hole where the loop was attached.


Here it is mended from the outside.

Mended from the inside.

Mended inside from distance. 




I fixed many, many torn hems. I only took a picture of the worst one.

Before.

After from the outside.


After from the inside. Notice I did not take the patch all the way to the bottom of the hem. That would have been too much thickness for my machine. Instead I butted it up against the hem. And notice I doubled up/folder over the patch at the bottom. I also sewed around and around the orginal hem to further reinforce. Straight stitch and zigzag, around and around.