Wednesday, January 25, 2017

It is easier/cheaper to buy new knit shirts/dresses/skirts to cut up and use as fabric, than it is to buy knit fabric.

These are doll clothes.
A modern girls' T-shirt dress.
And a modern girls' pair of leggings.
They are not meant to be worn together.
I sewed and photographed them together.

These started out as size 2X mens' knit shirts.
So, lots of fabric.

I took advantage of the hems that were already in the garments.
I cut my pieces so the original hem is now the doll garment hem.

I was able to get an identical doll dress out of the striped fabric as well as a couple shirts.
I used as little of the legging fabric as possible so I can use it for other things.








Very large size knit clothes end up on clearance racks for a couple dollars quite often.

Knit fabric at the store is $12+ per yard.

Knits in clothing are often much cuter than knits on the bolt.

And there is the advantage of the already sewn hem in the garments.

Baby/toddler clothes and doll clothes can easily be made (if you sew) from Xl, XXL, XXXL mens' knit shirts. I use a stretch stitch on knit fabric.