Friday, October 11, 2024

Finding Me by Viola Davis

Note - two books, by black female authors, just happened to be assigned for two different book groups. I read them one right after the other. They could not have been more different. One posts today, the other posts tomorrow.

Note - I remembered Viola Davis from The Help and How to Get Away with Murder.  A review of her film and TV lists (some were mentioned in the book) shows a large body of work. I realized I had seen her in many other things, before I knew who she was.



Finding Me by Viola Davis is on Oprah’s book club list. 

https://www.oprahdaily.com/entertainment/books/g23067476/oprah-book-club-list/

The review (link below) described book as traumatic, that is a good description. I think this book, like most Oprah books, would be triggering for many people.

Normally I avoid Oprah’s books, they are too upsetting for me. 

This one was a book club assignment for one of my groups. I was forewarned, because it was on Oprah’s list. I knew going in that it was going to be sad and absolutely not a book for me. I still read it.

Most people in my book group said it was a tough read. Not everyone finished. Many had to pace themselves. Even the librarian said she could only stand a little at a time.

The book was very well written. I am not sure if Ms Davis is an exceptional (first book!) writer, had a fabulous editor, or what. But it is a well constructed book. (She is a well educated person, it is entirely possible she is a very good writer.)

I listened to the audio version, read by Davis.  I like authors reading their own non-fiction work. She did an outstanding job. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/books/2022/04/26/viola-davis-memoir-finding-me-revelations/7446179001/


https://readingladies.com/2023/01/09/finding-me-book-review-nonfiction-memoir/