Thursday, October 03, 2024

When the downspout was fixed, we replanted the edge of the bed

The down spout problem meant we had ice on the sidewalk and ice on the front edge of our flower bed. The ice killed perennials. I tried planting annuals several summers, the bunnies ate them within a couple hours.  Adding the drainage tile meant we could replant the flower bed with perennials.

I purchased 6 dark red coral bells (Lowe’s) for this bed. I wanted the strong contrast. 





I also utilized hosta from our backyard.  



My husband put down two bags of mulch, leftover from another project.





The cage protects clematis from the bunnies. Two years in a row (2022 and 2023) they waited for it to bloom and then chomped every stem off at the ground.

The tall plants right in front of the Boxwood hedge are Solomon’s Seal.




This bed is now heavily planted. 

The goal - no room for weeds.