I read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah earlier in June for one of my book groups. I thought the writing was a little immature in the beginning, but liked the telling of the historical fiction story in the end. Hard subject matter, occupied France WWII. My husband’s currently listening to this book and finds it interesting.
Youngest’s group is discussing Night Road also by Kristin Hannah at their July meeting.
End of June, we both listened to Night Road on our Audible account, at the same time, by both turning off the Sync function (settings, player).
Overall, I enjoyed this book, Night Road (2011), it was an interesting concept/read.
I have two “buts”.
One - I found Night Road to be predictable. I could have nearly outlined the whole book after the first couple chapters. I absolutely was not surprised by the injustice/dilemmas as they happened. In a way the overt foreshadowing helped soften the blows.
Two - I was very eager to get through it. Happy ending, sad ending, I just wanted all the injustices resolved. Like Gretchen Rubin, I have a hard time with injustice.
In talking to youngest about the predictability of this book, I could see the writing outline pretty clearly, she mentioned Chekov’s Gun. She was surprised I had not heard that expression. Apt theory for the writing style of this story. Very tidy.
I would read another assigned book by this author, for a book group, but probably not on my own.
That being said, she is a very popular modern day author. The Women (2024) by Kristin Hannah is a common/frequent book group assignment this year.
If you like this author, and I think a lot of people do, she has a nice long list (below) of published books.
I maintain accounts on GoodReads and StoryGraph, thanks to youngest getting me organized.
StoryGraph -
In each book post, I utilize https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/
This is a wonderful website that helps clarify the publication order of books and verifies book series. I use this website because there are no spoilers. But if I need a description, I can click over using the links, easily. There are also author bios.





