Wednesday, June 18, 2025

The Pastures of Heaven by John Steinbeck (1932)

The Pastures of Heaven by John Steinbeck popped up as available after a brief wait on Libby. This is Steinbeck’s second novel, published in 1932.

The Pastures of Heaven is comprised of a series of short stories, each chapter is a separate topic set in the same area. And just so you know, there are a few very gruesome parts and the stories tend to end just a little abruptly.




I liked this book. Again not an all time favorite, but I definitely enjoyed most of the stories. I listened to it all in one go, flying back home to Indiana from the east coast. 

At 7 hours, it was a relatively short listen. Increasing the speed to 1.35 shortened it even further to just over 5 hours, no chipmunks. I had an hours drive (Uber) to the first airport, and then two connecting flights, so it was the perfect length.


I thought a lot about one of my least favorite books, Winesburg Ohio, as I listened, because they are very similar books. I think I listened to Winesburg Ohio in 2012, I might not have had enough classic book experience at that point. But I am not willing to try again.





I maintain accounts on GoodReads and StoryGraph, thanks to youngest getting me organized. 

StoryGraph - 





 This short story collection is listed under Steinbeck’s novels, not collections (below).












In each book post, I utilize https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/

This is a wonderful website that helps clarify the publication order of books and verifies book series. I use this website because there are no spoilers. But if I need a description, I can click over using the links, easily. There are also author bios.